Sale

Gabriëlskloof Landscape Series Syrah on Sandstone 2017

Textured and savoury.
No reviews. Be the first!
  • $68.00

Learn More About This Product

Primary Notes: Plum, Blueberries Pepper

Secondary Notes:

Tertiary Notes: Tobacco, Chocolate

Body: Full

Dryness: Dry

Acidity: Medium

Tannin: Medium +

Alcohol (%):

Origin: Overberg, South Africa

Maker:

Grape: Shiraz (Syrah)

Fermentation: Heavy Wood

Awards:

Decanting:

Serving Temperature: Best served between 16 and 18 degrees.

Asian Food Pairing: Lamb kebab, Torched teriyaki beef cubes,

Western Food Pairing: Pair with grilled meats, Baked portobello, beef stew.

Description

Gabriëlskloof Landscape Series Syrah on Sandstone 2017

“The idea behind having two Syrahs is to represent the two major soil types prevalent at Gabrielskloof. Our sandstone vineyards produce a Syrah that is elegant and perfumed, while the heavier shale soils offer fruit concentration and depth.” — Peter-Allan Finlayson
Textured and savoury. A delicious bouquet of blackberries, violets and crushed pepper. The palate is a harmonious dance of spiciness, silky tannins and delicate purity of fruit. There’s great depth and flavour to this wine, bolstered by layered hints of oak.
The Gabrielskloof Landscape Series of wines is an authentic representation of their top vineyards, as well as a few old vine treasures. The labels feature landscape paintings by Niël Jonker that reflect and capture the spirit of Overberg landscapes.Sandstone defines the character of this single vineyard wine. The Syrah from Sandstone site is mountainous and composed of broken Sandstone rock. This merciless environment leads to low vigour and small yields, which results in complex and unique wines. Gabrielskloof was able to irrigate their vines at precisely the right moments, which was crucial to achieving full ripeness. Markedly low yields and small berries lead to extra gentle handling and extraction.

The hand-picked fruit was transferred directly to their cold room where it remained overnight. About 60% of the fruit was destemmed with the remaining 40% left as whole clusters. Wild fermented and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used. Delicious to drink now and into 2024.

Those poor vines made an incredible wine just to spite us!


 14%

AWARDS & ACCOLADES


- 93 POINTS

Lilting red fruit aromas, fluid freshness - 2016 initially has a deceptive lightness. But there is fine-toned muscle in the savoury concentration, steadfastness in structure & concluding surge of delicious truffle & spice. Touch more new oak (30%) than previous, as next.