With the merger of the Berliner Kindl brewery and the Berliner-Schultheiss brewery in January 2006 a new brewery was created under the name "Berliner Kindl-Schultheiss-Brauerei", one of the largest breweries in the Berlin area. Today it produces the brands Berliner Pilsner, Berliner Kindl, Schultheiss, and Berliner Bürgerbräu.
Berliner Pilsner was created in 1902 as a small brewery with an adjacent beer garden. The first bottle of Berliner Pilsner rolled off the line in 1963. Since then it has been the people's beer in Berlin and Brandenburg. Their icon, the red Berlin Pilsner Bear featured on their labels today has also been there from the beginning.
In 1969, Berliner Pilsner was nationalised and incorporated in the East German "VEB Berliner Getränkekombinat", a Volkseigener Betrieb (publicly owned corporation). For many years during communist rule, Berliner Pilsner was the leading beer brand in East Berlin.
After German reunification in 1990, the brewery was divested and independently run.
As part of a product relaunch in 1992, the shorter, older Euro-bottle was replaced with the more fashionable NRW-bottle, combined with a redesign, with the intention of creating a new image and regaining market share. The brewery also invested in new technology to modernize the brewing process. Further changes to the design continued, including the adoption of the Longneck-bottle, with the inclusion of a bear (a symbol of the city of Berlin, also found on its coat of arms) in front of the Reichstag dome.
In 2003, it was acquired by Radeberger Group and merged with several other Berlin-area brewery holdings to form Berliner-Kindl-Schultheiss-Brauerei.
In 2011, "Berlin you are so wonderful". Their Berlin Pilsner song became the sound of the capital. Dideldimm dideldimm dideldimm didel dimm dimm dimm ...