Tabalí Payen Syrah 2018

In our opinion, the finest Syrah Chile has to offer.
  • $116.00

Learn More About This Product

Primary Notes: Plum, Blueberries Pepper

Secondary Notes:

Tertiary Notes: Tobacco, Chocolate

Body: Full

Dryness: Dry


Tannin: Medium +

Alcohol (%):

Origin: Overberg, Chile

Maker: Tabalí

Grape: Shiraz (Syrah)

Fermentation: Heavy Wood



Serving Temperature: Best enjoyed at 16 degrees

Asian Food Pairing: Oxtail soup, Lamb kebab, Aged Wagyu

Western Food Pairing: Empanada, beef stew, Serrano ham and aged cheese


Tabali Payen Syrah 2018


A blend of 93% Syrah & 7% Cabernet Franc. Flagship Syrah from Chile's enchanted Limari Valley. An absolutely superb release from the Tabali estate.
In our opinion the finest Syrah Chile has to offer. Only the very best grapes make the 'Payen grade'. Of an intense red colour with violet hues, this elegant wine reminiscent of cherries and blueberries. Together with violets, black pepper and slight hints of smoke and spices.

In the mouth it shows great body and excellent balance with highly concentrated fruit and velvety tannins. The oak is perfectly integrated with the fruit, lending the wine complexity and greater depth. The finish is long and smooth.
Every single task in the vineyard, from pruning to harvesting, is carefully supervised by the viticultural and winemaking team in order to produce the best quality fruit possible. The grapes were hand-harvested on 17 and 18 May into 20kg-bins to avoid any damage to the
fruit. The clusters and grapes were very carefully selected to ensure that only the best grapes were vinified. 70% of the grapes were gravity-fed into small stainless steel tanks for vinification, while the remaining 30% underwent whole grape fermentation in French oak barrels and were subject to a daily pump-over regime to obtain the maximum fruit
expression. The wine was aged in French oak barrels (90% of them new and 10% third-use) for 18 months.

Good to drink now till 2030.