Sale

Broc Cellars The Badger Nero d'Avola 2019

Tight, bright, fresh and grippy.
  • $89.00

Learn More About This Product

Primary Notes: Plum Pepper, savoury spice Violet

Secondary Notes:

Tertiary Notes: Dried Fruits

Body: Full

Dryness: Very Dry

Acidity: Medium +

Tannin: Medium +

Alcohol (%): 13

Origin: Mendocino County, California, USA

Maker: Broc Cellars

Grape: Nero d’Avola

Fermentation: Natural Heavy Wood

Awards:

Decanting:

Serving Temperature: Best served between 16-18 degrees.

Asian Food Pairing: Fried dumplings, fried rice, Chinese spare ribs

Western Food Pairing: Appetisers, spicy meatball spaghetti, or charcuterie or washed rind cheeses.

Description

Broc Cellars The Badger Nero d'Avola 2019

A homage to some of the great Nero d’Avolas of Sicily, this wine showcases deep sensual flavours of plum, pepper, violet, and savoury spices. Tight, bright, fresh and grippy. Bright nose of spices and dried fruits. The intense fresh red fruit will pair magically with all manner of simple Italian pasta

100% Nero d’Avola.

The vineyard is located in Mendocino County, located near Ukiah. The vines are around 20+ years old and farmed by Sam Bilbro and Evan Lewandowski. They farm with no use of pesticides, herbicides, chemicals or synthetics. Cover crop is grown to control weeds.

20% of the grapes are aged on the skins in amphora while the other 80% are fermented on skins, then pressed into neutral French oak barrels. The grapes in amphora are left on the skins through January then basket-pressed back into the amphora to develop for another 6 months. The juice in the barrel is then left to age for 10 months.

The Badger on our label plays on the Scottish Gaelic translation of Broc, which is Badger. When we first brought in the Nero from Fox Hill, the original owner (Lowell Stone) loved our label mentioning how much he loved animals and critters. We love how the badger has become our winery mascot.

These are grapes you do not see every day as there are not many Nero d’Avola vines planted here in California. The team is lucky to have found Fox Hill Vineyard – where Nero is planted and thriving. The vineyard is in Mendocino County, located near Ukiah. The vines are around 20+ years old and farmed by the winemaker, Chris Brockway, Sam Bilbro and Evan Lewandowski of Ruth Lewandowski. Together they farm the vineyard organically. A cover crop is grown to control weeds. The soil is mostly sandstone, with lots of pebbles, river rock and quartz found everywhere. Pennyroyal grows wild all around Fox Hill vines which we also love.


Check out what else we've got from Broc Cellars.